Sunday 22 January 2012

Somebody gave the GOVERNMENT a FLAT TIRE

In honour of ANONYMOUS' mighty retaliation to Megaupload's shut down and time bought as well as minds changed for the SOPA/PIPA bill, I have decided to post a bite-sized Canadian new wave treat. The Government are a band with a small output and even smaller legacy, but who remain a sought after name in the world of obscure early art punk and new wave 7"s. This is, no doubt, a result of the unique sounds contained on this plastic cylinder from 1979. A perfect sonic polaroid of a highly anamolous moment in music and counter-culture. Quite unlike anything else to come out of Canada and it's punk scene at the time, these four numbers are some delightful little oddities set to a metric, chugging beat. My personal fave remains Flat Tire, which seems a fitting tribute to the impressive work of our fellow online-activist brethren and at least the temporary thwarting of the powers of evil and greed in recent days. Enjoy with beer and salted sarcasm.

4 comments:

  1. The government should do about this.
    It is an unfair movement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have this record too, and it's still has it.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who did "CN Tower"? I can't remember her/their name, and it's gonna make me jump.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. A youtube search came up with The Poles for CN Tower. Had never heard, though certainly heard of them!
    Being something of a "youngster" I cannot get over all the golden treasures the ol' TO/Ontario scene has to offer both in punk and later in metal. I endeavour to try and unearth as many of these as I can and do more big posts about this. Growing up in what I considered at the time a very dry era musically it's so amazing to look to the past and bring your city to life through it. Thanks for the tip on CN Tower, great tune. I'll maybe get some Poles up here soon. Also watch out for a Simply Saucer diatribe in the future!

    ReplyDelete